Hepatitis is an inflammation of Liver which is a result of Viral Infection. This liver derangement can also be caused due to toxins like alcohol, medications and may be due to auto immune diseases. Hepatitis can be caused by drugs, viruses, bacteria, mushrooms, parasites like amoebas or giardiasis.
This is a chronic disorder which could be fatal. There are five types of Hepatitis i.e A, B, C, D and E. Hepatitis A and E are typically caused by ingestion of contaminated food or water. Hepatitis B, C and D usually occur as a result of direct contact with infected body fluids.
According to Ayurveda, the liver is called Yakrit. Pitta is the predominant energy in liver. Most liver disorders are aggravated conditions of Pitta. Aggravation of the Pitta causes the liver diseases such as hepatitis, cirrhosis and fatty liver. Kamala is the term mentioned in Ayurveda to describe the wide range of liver diseases including Hepatitis. Hepatitis of any types is a serious liver condition and should not be ignored.
There are certain herbs which are used to
- Improve liver functions
- Balance Bilirubin Levels
- Reduce the elevated enzyme levels
- Rejuvenate and heal the hepatic cells
- Improve appetite and digestion
Management of Hepatitis in Ayurveda –
Ayurvedic treatment of Hepatitis is based on the concept of “Rejuvenation. Ayurveda believes to help liver to restore and rejuvenate to the normal level.
Ayurveda treatments not only help to clear the jaundice but can also help to clear the virus from the body. Basically in case of Liver diseases, the treatment is aimed on the concept of Agni in Ayurveda. As per Ayurveda Agni is the main part of the digestion and all the digestive processes are controlled and regulated by Agni. The main seat for Agni is told as Liver, so the treatment is aimed totally on the rejuvenation of the liver cells so that all the actions of Liver will be optimized.
Commonly used herbs are:
- Kutraki – Picrorhiza Kurroa
- Andrographis paniculata (Kalmegh)
- Boerhavia diffusa (Punarnava)
- Swertia Chirata(Chirayata)
- Haritaki – Terminalia chebula
- Haridra – Curcuma longa
- Aloe Vera
- Sugar cane
Some herbal formulations are as follows:
- Arogyavardhani Vati
- Praval Panchamrit Ras
- Amalki rasayana
- Yakrut plihari Lauh
- Punarnava Mandoor
Diet & Lifestyle recommendations for Hepatitis:
- Eat regular, balanced meals
- Eat whole-grain cereals and grains
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables
- Drink enough fluids
- Avoid fatty food and junk food.
- Eat slowly and not in front of the TV.
- Maintain normal weight and do exercise regularly.
- Do not eat when you are angry, frustrated, or bored.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking. Avoid recreational drug use.
- Practice Transcendental Meditation regularly