Nidra or Sleep is counted to be one of the Troupstambhas (Three pillars of the bodyIt is an essential component for good health and
peace of mind. Sound sleep imparts energy bothtowards mental and physical health.Sleep Disorders are a wide-spread problem these days that interferes with both the physical and the mental ability of the body. Sleep disturbances can cause impaired metabolism, fatigue, irritability, anxiety, obesity etc. Sleep disorders occur majorly due to aggravation of Vata and Pitta Dosha and imbalance of Kapha Dosha.
Lifestyle Tips for a Sound Sleep
- a) Diet
- Vata and Pitta pacifying diet is recommended.
- Warm foods should be taken instead of cold foods.
- Food should not be too spicy.
- Avoid stimulants like tea, coffee, alcohol, and smoking.
- Stick to a perfect diet schedule; take dinner by7:30 p.m.
- Take Warm Milk at bed-time.
- Taking Green Tea during the day helps improve metabolism and reduces stress.
- b) Lifestyle
- Try to be Stress free
- Go for regular walks
- Do oil massage regularly before taking bath
- Do feet massage with ghee every night
- Watch yoursleep timings
- Try tosleep by 10:00 pm
- Watching T.V. late at night or using phones or computers just before going to bed; disrupts a sound sleep
- Sticking to asleep schedule everyday helps a lot
- c) Transcendental Meditation
- M. is an effective way to reduce stress, dissolve anxieties and invite a sense of calm to your mind. This simple practice can help you to release tension and worries before they interfere with yoursleep.
- d) Do regular Pranayama and Yoga
- Pranayama is an excellent way to revitalize energy in the body. Pranayama cleanses and
strengthens the physical body while calming and clearing the mind. Yogic Practices gives relaxation to the body reducing physical, mental and emotional
- e) Panchkarma
- Regularly having Panchkarma Therapies for detoxification and rejuvenation helps and supports the mind and the body to handle any up-coming stress whilst eliminating the body of any accumulated stresses. Doing Abhyanga, Shirodhara, Basti and Nasya treatment for detoxification helps to improve mental and physical ability.
This blog is Witten by Dr. Vishakha Mahindroo, M.D. from Bharati Vidya Peeth University, Pune. she has six years of Clinical Experience in running independent Ayurvedic OPD with intense experience in handling Panchkarma. Dr. Vishakha has been associated with Maharishi Ayurveda Hospital since 2007 and is looking after both IPD and OPD.